Financial Services FAQs
Find answers to some of your most frequently asked questions in Financial Services. Members from various areas in Financial Services have taken the most often asked questions and compiled the answers in an easy to use format. Click on the tab below to find answers to your questions relating to ePrint reports, purchasing, spending guidelines, and Quicken and the Depository Account.
- Purchasing Questions
- Quicken and the Depository Account Questions
- ePrint Questions
- How do I rent a vehicle?Vehicle rental is a state contract item with Enterprise. In order for the payment to be made directly from CES to Enterprise an agency travel card must be used. If an employee chooses to pay for the rental thru the contract vendor, the employee may be reimbursed for the expense by submitting a personal reimbursement request (PURCH 330). If you are unable to locate a rental vehicle, contact the purchasing staff at 501/671-2296.
- What is the purchase limit for Office Depot?
The purchase limit is $1,000 per order. Normally the AOS in each department or county is the individual authorized to place the Office Depot orders.
- Do I have to buy from State Contract if I can find a better deal?
State contracts are competitively bid and generally offer the best deal for the state. If an item is on a mandatory contract, the purchase must be made from that contract.
- Can I make a purchase of a state contract item using my Personal Credit Card and get
No, you should use the CES purchase order system or a P-Card. Under special circumstances this might be approved, but you must get prior approval from the Purchasing Manager before any purchase is made. Contact purchasing or accounts payable for further information.
- Who can enter a Requisition?
The only individuals authorized to enter requisitions are those who have been set up in Banner AND who have passed the on-line requisitions course. The on-line Banner Requisition Course can be found at learn.uaex.edu. After successfully completing and passing the course, print your certificate. You will then be given access to enter on-line requisitions in Banner.
- Who can give me information about my budget, how much I have available to spend, what
is my balance?
Budget information is available in e-print. For specific budget questions you should contact Jackie Yarbrough (501-671-2045).
- Can I buy goods for CES from a CES employee?
No, this is not allowable under state law.
- Do you have to take the lowest bid on a Quote Bid?
If the lowest bid meets all the specifications and they can supply the items as requested, the low bid must be accepted.
- Can I tell another bidder what bids I have received and the bid prices?
You cannot disclose any bid information until after the bid has been awarded.
- I got specs from a particular vendor whom has always been good to us over the years.
Can I give this vendor any kind of preference?
No, there is no preference law in the State of Arkansas.
- When I got bids, one of the bidders said, “If my quote is the winning bid we will
give you a 40 inch flat screen.” Is there any problem with accepting a gift?
Gifts should never be accepted in the performance of your job.
- I do not like the brand of computers that CES purchases. Can I select another brand
if I tell the IT Department this is what I’m used to since I have this type at home?
No, you must have a specific reason as to the performance of the substitute machine you are requesting verses the computer brand used by CES and the IT Director must approve the purchase before a substitute can be ordered.
- My State truck needs tires. I want to purchase the tires from a certain dealer because
they are friends of my family and will give us a special price that is less than the
State Contract price. Is this okay?
No, there is a mandatory contract for tires and all tires must be purchased through the contract. All tire purchase requests must be submitted to the purchasing office at LRSO and the purchasing office will order the tires.
- I have an out-of-town meeting during lunch. Will CES pay for my lunch?
According to state policy, only individuals in travel status requiring an overnight stay will be reimbursed for meals. For clarification of the policy, please contact the accounts payable office at LRSO or review the policy guidelines found in the Extension Policy Manual.
- I noticed that Wal-Mart has better prices on their office supplies. If I purchase
office supplies at Wal-Mart using my Personal Credit Card, can I get reimbursed?
No, office supplies are on a mandatory state contract through Office Depot.
- We took quotes for painting our office. The low bid and the subsequent PO was for
$4,900. While the painter was here we found other areas that needed painting. He charged
an additional $1,000. Can we pay the additional amount from the original purchase
No, the original purchase request should be for the maximum amount of the work to be performed at the time of the initial order. Any additional work should be on a separate PO and should be approved prior to the additional work being done. Since the total amount will exceed $5,000, quotes should be taken for the additional work.
- We need carpet for our County office and have selected the style and type of carpet
we want. Can we single-source this brand since it matches our décor perfectly?No, you may select the specifications that match your carpet but you cannot single source this item since many companies might sell this particular carpet.
- During our staff meeting, we discussed some upgrades to our office. The Staff Chair
and our District Director has approved the upgrades. One of our agents went out and
purchased the items the next day. Can we do the Requisition after-the-fact?No, purchases are not officially authorized without an agency issued purchase order. Purchase requests made after the fact are not approved under the Arkansas Purchasing Law.
- I need to order items for SNAP ED; can I order these through a catalog?It is best to go online and check for availability of the items and verify the estimated date of shipment. The item may be out of stock or discontinued. This information will be helpful to know before you place your order since there is a deadline for receipt of merchandise.
- I need to pay my registration ASAP….how can I do that?You may pay with your P-Card if you are trying to meet a registration deadline. If there is not an immediate deadline, then you should enter an on-line requisition and a Purchase Order and Check will be processed.
- I am having trouble with Requisitions, who should I contact?
Call Jo Ann Fish 501/671-2296 or Mark Kiefer 501/671-2060 to answer any questions you may have.
- I cannot enter a fund or org number in Banner, what should I do?Contact Jessica Smith 501/671-2057 to determine if you have the necessary access for the fund or org number. If the access is not available, your supervisor will need to contact Sheryl and give approval for you to have access to enter the new fund or org.
- I cannot order with a new fund or org number in Office Depot, what should I do?
You should have your supervisor contact Jo Ann Fish 501/671-2296 or Mark Kiefer 501/671-2060, for you to be given access.
- When entering a requisition in Banner, I realized that it is a new vendor, what should
I do?Contact the vendor and request a W-9 (Tax Form). If the vendor does not have one, we can e-mail a blank form to them. The completed W-9 form should be faxed to Jo Ann Fish or Mark Kiefer (501.671.2209)and we will set them up in Banner. Once the vendor has been set-up in Banner, the purchasing staff will contact you with the vendor number and you can enter your requisition.
- When in entering a requisition, I need to add extra information about the new vendor,
where would I put that?You would enter the information In the Document Text. Click on Options on the top left of your page, and it will have a drop down option list, choose Document Text (click on), and it will open the document text form—from there you will need to click on the next block to be able to enter on the 1st line (under the green bar line). It has 50 characters per line, that can be entered; hit the down arrow button on your keyboard to go to the next line. You will be able to enter as many lines as needed. This is where you would enter information for new vendor, contract number, phone, fax, proposal information, bid number etc.
- On my requisition, I cannot enter all I need to on the description line, what should
I do?You click on Options and follow the instructions as above, but click on Item Text instead of Document Text. (You will have as many lines as needed.) This is where you would enter information about the item. (Part number, Serial number, etc.)
NOTE: REMEMBER-DOCUMENT TEXT IS INFORMATION ABOUT THE DOCUMENT (REQUISITION AS A WHOLE) ITEM TEXT IS INFORMATION ONLY ABOUT THE ITEM ITSELF.
- What do I do with 4-H, Master Gardener, Shooting Sports, etc. funds received by the
Programmatic funds, or funds used for any program (camp, O-Rama, training) must be deposited into your Depository Account and then sent by the County to pay for registration, participation fees, training fees.
Funds to pay for meeting expenses (refreshments, awards, gifts) are not considered to be programmatic and can be paid for by the affiliated club.
Honorariums, service contracts, room rental contracts can be paid for out of the depository, but must be done through a requisition using the fund # 13823 (Depository Account Fund).
- How do I enter sales tax that has been added to a P-Card, or Other Expense after the
original amount has already been entered into Quicken?
Make a new entry in the current month, entering the tax added as a payment.
Use OTH in the number column and in the Payee field, use the person, company etc. that was used in the original charge entry. In the memo field, you can put sales tax added.
Clear the entry.
- How can I handle an entry that has been tagged in a previous month, and then I discover
it should go to a different group?
Tags do not affect your depository balance and can be changed at any time.
Tags affect reconciliation reports, so if such a discrepancy is discovered, it is expedient to change the previously entered entry’s tag, immediately. This will insure that current reconciliation reports will be accurate.
- How do I enter bank charges for service charges, interest, checks and/or deposit slips?
Enter in month charged, using OTH in the number column. Enter all as payments – except for interest, which is entered as a deposit entry.
Clear when you see on bank statement or receive notice from FS.
- What does it mean to “not go back into a previous month and make entries?”
If it is July and you are working on June reports – you can still change or make new entries in June. That is not going BACK – it is actually doing your current reporting. Now, once all the counties’ reports June reports are submitted and the June entries are loaded into Banner by me, that month is closed. From that point forward we cannot go back into June and make changes or entries.
If while working on a month’s reports, you see an entry you missed (check, deposit, p-card, bank charges/interest, mistake) you can certainly make those corrections or additions and in fact, you should. There should not be bank charges/interest on your Finance 401 – you should go ahead and enter them in the month on which you are working.
Again, a month is only considered previous after you have submitted your reports for that month, and I have loaded them into Banner. Until loaded, I can make corrections/additions, if you let me know – and reports can always be re-run and re-submitted.
Any entry missed in a month (after all reporting is completed for that month) – needs to be entered into the next month (in this example it would be July) as soon as discovered. Make note of the actual date in the memo line.
- What copies do I need to mail to Financial Services each month?
Copies of receipts (for funds received)
Copies of deposit slips
Quicken report files – B, D, and OS
Signed Finance 401
Copy of Bank Statement
- Do we still upload ftp report files?
We no longer upload tab-delimited files.
Only the tab-delimited "D" (Monthly Activity Detail) report files is emailed to the Quicken Specialist each month.
- How are tab-delimited report files labeled?
Files are labeled by:
4424 (org#) 14 (year) 07(month) B (report name)
The same format is used for the D and OS report files.
- What am I to enter in the Payee field?
The “payee” field is a description. It is to describe the person or entity from whom funds were received, or to whom funds were paid.
Tom Smith – person
United Way – entity
ORama Attendees – persons attending an event (this type of entry must have a list of those persons and funds submitted/paid by them)
- How do I enter Donations?
All donation entries begin with GIFT-
GIFT-Individual Donors (list attached with names and amounts listed)
*If your entries do not begin this way, they have to be manually corrected by Financial Services.
- What about donations of $250 or more?
Donations of $250 or more must be entered as separate entries.
They are not to be combined with any other donations.
All documentation regarding these donations is to be sent to:
Office of Development
Attn: Brian Helms
2301 S. University Ave.
Little Rock, AR 72204
- What do I enter in the numeral column?
Checks require a check # (do not add org#)
Deposits require DEP (do not enter receipt #’s)
P-Card, Publications, Bank charges require OTH (other)
Correcting Entries require CORR
Monthly Transfers require TXFR
Individual Transfers sent by CES require TSR (your notice will instruct you)
- How do I know what is to be entered in a particular month?
1st: Checkbook – be sure all checks for that month have been entered into Quicken
2nd: Deposit book – be sure all deposits for that month are entered into Quicken
3rd: Bank Statement – all credits and debits listed on the bank statement must be entered into Quicken
4th: If you have p-card receipts for the depository account (13823) that have been spent in that month – go ahead and enter them into Quicken and clear when you received transfer notice.
- Does check and receipt number sequence matter?
YES. Try to write checks in sequence (in numerical order)and write receipts as funds are received – in sequence. This helps you keep track of your depository account and prevent skipping entries.
- Is it permissible to use the SPLIT button in Quicken?
NEVER use the split button.
If transactions need to be split between accounts, make separate entries for those amounts in the different accounts.
- The print on my screen is small and difficult to read. How can I make the text larger
on the screen so the reports can be easily read online?
First, always choose the PDF version when viewing and printing ePrint reports. If you're having trouble viewing the reports on your screen, try using the "Zoom in" tool. Or, click the Bookmarks tab on the left of your screen. This will widen the viewing page for the report and zoom in the document. To go back to the Bookmarks just click on the tab. You may also want to try a combination of both the "Zoom in" tool and clicking on the Bookmark tab to make the print larger on your screen.
- When I log into ePrint, I receive the error message, “Authorization failed, please
ePrint displays this error message when an incorrect userid and/or password have been entered while attempting to login to ePrint. ePrint is expecting the same user id and password used when logging into Banner at https://webforms.uaex.edu. This will be the password and user id where the user id is typically the first letter of the first name and the last name. It's also the same user id and password used to enter requisitions in WebForms. If you think you're using the correct password to login to ePrint but are still receiving the "Authorization failed, please try again" error message, double check your password by logging into Webforms at https://webforms.uaex.edu. Banner will display the message "invalid username/password; logon denied" if you don't have the correct WebForms user id and password. If you've forgotten your WebForms username or password, contact Yvonne McCool by email in the Information Technology department to have your password reset.
- I have logged into ePrint but there is nothing there except the header. Under the
header the page is blank.
If you login to ePrint and only see the header and no reports then your password has
expired and it needs to be reset. Contact the IT Department to reset your password. Once
your password has been changed, wait approximately 5 minutes before trying to log back
- When I log into ePrint, I receive the error message “No reports found”
This means your profile security is not setup in Banner. Please contact Financial Services
and we will make sure you are set up with the appropriate funds and orgs.
- Allowable Expenditures
Federal Smith Lever (FSL Funds)
14000, 14001, & 21XXX
Recruitment of personnel
Procurement of goods & services
Disposal of scrap or surplus materials
Other specific purposes necessary to carry out Extension work
2. Payroll & fringe benefits
3. Pre-Agreement costs (with written permission)
4. Travel (no foreign travel)
6. Moving costs (must stay with State Extension Service one year)
8. Exhibits at fairs
10. Purchase of uniforms
Continuity of meeting
- Unallowable Expenditures
1. Purchase, erection, preservation or repair of buildings
2. Purchase or rental of land
3. Individual membership fees/professional dues
4. Printing or distributing reports of other organizations
5. Distributing seeds, fertilizers, food or other materials to clientele (gifts)
6. Travel or other expenses of members of 4-H clubs (except National 4-H Conference, etc)
7. Volunteer expenses
8. Feeding & caring for 4-H club members’ animals
9. Musical entertainment
10. Advertising for commercial firms
11. Patenting or copyrighting materials
12. Tuition remission
13. Donor solicitation expenses
14. Plaques & awards
15. Logo clothing
16. Promotional items
17. Galaxy Conference expenses
- County Carryover (27100) Allowable Expenditures
**** Expenses on this fund MUST be in support of county programming such as:
1. Educational & office supplies
3. Meals for meetings
Must meet “continuity test”
Must complete Finance 214
4. Salaries & benefits
- Unallowable Expenditures (Unless prior approval is received)
1. Expenses related to building maintenance
2. Expenses related to building improvements
3. Expenses NOT directly related to the support of county programming
- State Treasury Appropriation (CAA0200)
Reimbursed by State
(13101) Allowable Expenditures1. Salaries
2. Fringe benefits
3. Normal maintenance & operations expenses (02)
- Unallowable Expenditures1. Plaques & awards
2. Logo clothing
3. Promotional items (can’t be reimbursed by State)
4. Individual membership fees/professional dues
5. Galaxy Conference expenses
- State Cash Appropriations
Not Reimbursed by State
County Petty Cash Accounts
(13XXX)Allowable Expenditures (Required to follow state purchasing regulations)1. Normal maintenance & operations expenses
County Petty Cash Accounts must use fund #13823 & process through CES
Galaxy conference travel allowed
3. Office supplies
4. Demonstration supplies
5. Meeting expenses
7. Plaques/trophies/awards (<$150)
8. Gifts (non-Extension personnel only & <$100)
9. Logo clothing
10. Meals-Finance 214
11. Individual membership fees/professional dues (With supervisor approval)
12. Promotional items
- Unallowable Expenditures
1. Checks written for cash
2. Travel directly from County Petty Cash Accounts
3. Payroll/salaries/fringes paid from County Petty Cash Accounts
4. Gifts to Extension Personnel
5. Expenditures that circumvent normal State purchasing regulations
6. Personal Expenditures
(23XXX, 25XXX, 28XXX)Reference grant agreements for restrictions & allowable budget categories.