Stop back frequently for updates on our speakers and activities!
2017 Rice Expo Recipe Contest rules:
- The Rice Recipe Contest is an official event of the University of Arkansas Division of Agriculture Research and Extension Arkansas Rice Expo.
- The Arkansas Cooperative Extension Service offers its programs to all eligible persons regardless of race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, age, disability, marital or veteran status, genetic information, or any other legally protected status, and is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
- The immediate year’s state winner is not eligible to enter the following year. Example: the 2016 State Recipe Contest Winner is not eligible to enter the 2017 State contest. Employees of the U of A System Division of Agriculture Cooperative Extension Service are not eligible to enter the contest.
- Anyone residing in the State of Arkansas is eligible. (There is no limit to the number of entries per county, only one entry per person.)
- Rice in any form must be the prominent ingredient in the recipe. Ingredients should be easily obtained in any local grocery store.
- Each contestant should submit a completed electronic entry form and an electronic copy of their recipe to email@example.com. The recipe must be: standard format including the ingredients with measurements in order of use; step-by-step preparation and cooking methods; number of servings; cost per serving. (Example: Total cost of dish divided by number of servings = cost per serving)
- Entries must be received by June 16, 2017.
- Each entry will be reviewed by the Rice Expo Recipe Committee and the top 10 will be selected for presentation on Aug. 4, 2017. The top 10 contestants will be notified by July 10, 2017.
- Prepared rice dishes will be checked-in at 8 a.m. Aug. 4, 2017 at the Grand Prairie Center in Stuttgart. Contestants will be provided a 2’x2’ table area to create a display of their choice that may include items such as decorative linens, floral arrangements, service dishes, etc. for the presentation of their dish.
- Dishes must remain on display throughout the Rice Expo. Because of food safety issue, there will NOT be any sampling of the dishes by Expo attendees.
- Food must be received at safe temperatures. Please refer to the below mentioned food safety publication. Dishes may be reheated after arriving and before judging. Temperature will be monitored at check-in to assure safe food handling. If food is not received at the correct temperature, points will be lost under palatability because judges will not be able to taste the dish. For additional information on Safe Food Handling Practices and correct temperatures contact your local County Extension Agent – Family and Consumer Sciences,or refer to the Extension Publication FSFCS82, A Quick Consumer Guide to Safe Food Handling which can be accessed via the internet from uaex.edu. You can then read and or print the fact sheet.
- The top 10 entries will be judged on the basis of the recipe and the taste of the dish.
- The top 5 entries will move onto the finals. These dishes will be judged on the appearance of the dish and the finalist will be interviewed by the panel of judges. The finalist will be asked a series of questions about the ingredients and preparation of their dish. Special consideration will be given to how healthy and nutritious the dish is. The decision of the judges is final.
- The winners will be announced in the Grand Prairie Center during the closing activities.
- Winners must be present at the awards presentation to receive prizes. Winners who fail to appear at the presentation will automatically forfeit all awards.
- Prizes to be awarded: $200 for first place; $150 for second place, and $100 for third place.
- The first-place winner’s recipe will be highlighted in the 2018 Rice Expo Cookbook.
- Dishes must be picked up immediately after the close of the Expo on Aug. 4, 2017.
Thanks to all the families, individuals, sponsors and rice industry supporters who came to our annual Expo on Aug. 10. We look forward to hosting you again next year.
For those of you looking for our 2016 Rice Expo Cookbook, you may download a PDF here: 2016 Arkansas Rice Expo Recipe Book.