Top 10 finalists for Rice Expo Recipe contest named
By Mary Hightower
The Cooperative Extension Service
U of A System Division of Agriculture
- Top 10 recipes ready to compete
- Desserts, salad, casseroles all in the mix
(Newsrooms: ‘Dorthy’ in final list bullet is cq)
LONOKE, Ark. -- Rice is one of the most versatile ingredients in the kitchen and the 10 finalist recipes show how the grain can go from breakfast to dessert.
“This year’s recipes really do span the meal spectrum,” said Dianna Bowen, Lonoke County extension agent for the University of Arkansas System Division of Agriculture. “This is going to be a tough one for our judges.”
The panel of judges will include KTHV’s Meredith Mitchell, station meteorologist and reporter who grew up in Arkansas.
This year’s finalist recipes are:
- Chicken Taco Rice - Marsha Heien - Arkansas County
- Rice Coconut Pecan Squares - Violeta Hayes - Cross
- Rice Cheeseball - Carolyn Wynn - Lincoln
- Elegant Wild Rice Salad - Kim Free - Jackson
- Rice Casserole - Royce Downs - Lincoln
- Karen's Brunch Sausage Casserole - Karen Kirkpatrick - Clark
- Over the Border Rice - Lynne Sharp - Cleburne
- Pineapple Fried Rice with Ham - Lacy Smith - Lonoke
- Early Spanish Rice - Sharon Traylor - Union
- Cumin Rice- Dorthy Hahn - Arkansas
In addition to being palate-pleasing, each recipe and its cook, should demonstrate safe food handling skills, advanced cooking skills and showcase rice growing in Arkansas -- which is the nation’s No. 1 rice grower.
Last year’s winner was Tiffany Aaron's grilled rice and black bean burritos with creamy cilantro dipping sauce. (See: /www.flickr.com/photos/uacescomm/14873235923)
For more information about the Rice Expo, visit http://www.uaex.edu/rice-expo/.
The University of Arkansas System Division of Agriculture offers all its Extension and Research programs and services without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, age, disability, marital or veteran status, genetic information, or any other legally protected status, and is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
# # #
Media Contact: Mary Hightower
Dir. of Communication Services
U of A Division of Agriculture
Cooperative Extension Service