Physical Activity Resources
If you're aiming to be more active, you're on the right track to improve your health. Regular physical activity is an important part of a healthy lifestyle. Need help to put your plan into practice?
Use these tips to move from thinking about increasing activity to taking a walk, starting a strength training routine, or finding your own way to work out.
- Choose activities you enjoy.
- Choose activities that fit into your daily life.
- Exercise with a friend.
- Sign up for a class and try a new activity, like yoga, Pilates, water aerobics, or dancing.
- Keep an exercise log.
- Plan physical activity into your day.
- Reward yourself.
Did you know physical activity can help you feel better right away?
Boost your mood
Sharpen your focus
Reduce your stress
Improve your sleep
So get more active — and start feeling better today!
How much activity do I need?
Moderate-intensity aerobic activity
Anything that gets your heart beating
Do activities that make your muscles work harder than usual.
Short on time?
Start with just 5 minutes. It adds up!
Get the same benefits in half the time.
If you step it up to vigorous-intensity aerobic activity, aim for at least 75 minutes a week.
How do I know if it's moderate or vigorous? Use the "talk test" to find out.
When you’re being active, just try talking:
- If you’re breathing hard but can still have a conversation easily, it’s moderate- intensity activity
- If you can only say a few words before you have to take a breath, it’s vigorous-intensity activity
What counts as physical activity?
Whatever gets you moving!
This includes things you have to do anyway like housekeeping and walking the dog.
Even things that don't feel like exercise like dancing or gardening.
You can get more active.
No matter what shape you're in you can find a way that works for you. Over time physical activity can help you live a longer, healthier life.
So get started today, and find a physical activity that is fun for you. Move YOUR way.