Disease Prevention & Management
Worry about chronic disease does not have to control your life. You can take action now to prevent diseases like diabetes, heart disease, and high blood pressure. There are risk factors you can't change, like heredity, but there are many risk factors that are within your control. Take charge of your health now by making small but powerful lifestyle changes!
Try these tips to prevent and manage chronic disease:
- Move more
- Eat less
- Aim for a healthy weight
- Knowledge is power - know your numbers. Cholesterol checks and blood pressure screenings
give important information about your health.
- If you have not had a cholesterol check in the last five years, visit a medical provider.
- Check your blood pressure at least every two years.
- Get screened for diabetes if your blood pressure is higher than 135/80 or if you take medication for high blood pressure.
Learn about diabetes risk factors, symptoms, and prevention.Learn how to prevent and manage diabetes
Learn about heart disease risk factors, signs, and prevention.Learn more
Want to know more about high blood pressure? Learn how high blood pressure increases stroke risk.
- Centers for Disease Control & Prevention - Chronic Disease
- American Diabetes Association
- American Heart Association