The COVID-19 virus pandemic has led to unprecedented interruptions in economic activity around the world. Economists with the University of Arkansas System Division of Agriculture analyze the effects of the pandemic o the state's agricultural and rural economies.
Economic Impacts of COVID-19 on Food and Agricultural Markets
- June 2020 - Economic Impacts of COVID-19 on Food and Agricultural Markets
This paper examines the many economic factors and impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic, with a focus on the agriculture sector. In efforts to slow down the spread of COVID-19, many states and countries shut down several economic areas such as tourism and entertainment venues, restaurants, personal services, and some manufacturing facilities. This has led many areas into a recession. The authors of this paper examine the effects this recession has on these topics: macroeconomics; trade; supply chain; consumer behavior; food service/grocery; meat processing; forestry and wood products; local food systems; food waste; food insecurity; major commodity crops; agricultural finance; agricultural labor; rural health care; and research and outreach priorities.
Co-chairs: Jayson Lusk, Purdue University and John D. Anderson, University of Arkansas System Division of Agriculture.
- Executive summary here.
Find analyses of the meat and dairy landscape from land grant experts around the South.
Analysis from Arkansas' agricultural economists:
- Oct. 29 - UPDATE: Advance estimate of 2020 3rd quarter GDP
- Oct. 1, 2020 - September Personal Income and Outlays Report
- Aug. 31, 2020 - COVID-19 Personal Income and Outlays Report
- July 31, 2020 - COVID-19-Personal Consumption
- June 26, 2020 - COVID-19-Consumer Spending, Meat Industry Overview
- May 29, 2020-COVID-19_GDP_Personal_Income
- April 30, 2020 - Consumer spending
- Sept. 27, 2020 - CFPA1 Program Payments in Arkansas
- Sept. 20, 2020 - CFAP1 Program Payments in Arkansas - UPDATE
- Sept. 15, 2020 - CFAP Program Payments in Arkansas
- Aug. 26, 2020 - CFAP Program UPDATE
- July 13, 2020 - CFAP Program UPDATE
- June 16, 2020 - CFAP Program Payments in Arkansas
- June 3, 2020 - COVID-19 CFAP Summary
- Oct. 23, 2020 - COVID-Cattle on Feed Update
- Oct. 9, 2020 - Beef Supply & Demand Estimates
- Oct. 8, 2020 - Beef Trade Updates
- Sept. 18, 2020 - Beef Price Spreads
- Aug. 24, 2020 - COVID-Cattle on Feed Update
- Aug. 13, 2020 - COVID-Meat-Retail_Prices
- July 24, 2020 - Cattle on Feed Update
- July 14, 2020-COVID19-meat-exports.docx
- June 22, 2020 - Cattle on Feed Update
- June 12, 2020 - Meat production projections-WASDE
- June 11, 2020 - May Retail Meat Prices
- May 22, 2020 - Livestock Market Update
- May 14, 2020 - Meat Retail Prices
- May 8, 2020 - Livestock and Poultry Slaughter and Prices update
- May 4, 2020 - Impacts on wholesale meat prices
- April 24, 2020 - Cattle on Feed report
- April 17, 2020 - Impacts on beef, pork and broiler producton