Welcome to Guiding Children Successfully
What is it?
Guiding Children Successfully (GCS) is a research-based child care training program that strives to meet the foundation level training needs of early childhood professionals across the state. We offer up to 30 mail-in hours and 38 online hours of PDR verified training. Also, its free of charge. This self-guided training will help early childhood professionals apply child development principles to appropriately teach and manage the children in their care. Providers are welcome to request any of the publications featured in our training and distribute them to the parents of the children in their care.
Guiding Children Successfully consists of these trainings and involves:
12 video programs
12 learning checks (quizzes) numbered 01-12 each worth 1 hour of training
8 learning checks (quizzes) numbered 21-28, each worth 1 hour of training
1 learning check (quiz) numbered 29&30, worth 2 hours of training
5 learning checks (quizzes) numbered 31-35, each worth 1 of training
1 learning check (quiz) numbered 36-38, worth 3 hours of training
How do I get started?
There are a couple of ways an individual may participate in Guiding Children Successfully.
GCS Online: In order to enroll in and complete these courses, please do the following:
- You must be a member of the Professional Development Registry (PDR) to receive credit with the registry. Please go to the Professional Development Registry website to become a member. You must also register for any GCS courses on the PDR website. Under the My Trainings tab, search GCS Online. Please register for all the courses you are attempting.
- Next, fill out and submit the GCS registration form. Wait to receive the enrollment key(s) for the course(s), which will be sent to your
email within three (3) business days.
NOTE: You will only receive enrollment keys for the units you are eligible for.
- Upon receiving the enrollment key, go to http://courses.uada.edu. Log on to/create your account, select the course you want to take, and enter in the enrollment key. This will give you access to the course. As you work through the course, complete the learning check, discussions and evaluation forms that accompany each lesson and submit them online. Upon receiving a passing score of 80% or higher for each completed learning check, print off a completion certificate. Your completed hours will then be sent to the PDR registry.
Obtain GCS program materials, registration forms, learning checks, and evaluation forms from your local county Cooperative Extension Office. Please note that the GCS video series is available for check out from the local Extension office and must be returned within seven (7) days from the checkout date.
Your responsibilities are the following:
- You must be a member of the Professional Development Registry (PDR) to receive credit with the registry. Please go to the Professional Development Registry website to become a member. You must also register for any GCS courses on the PDR website. Under the My Trainings tab, search GCS Mail. Please register for all the courses you are attempting.
- Fill out the registration/attendance form. Go through the selected GCS program(s) and complete the accompanying learning check(s). Upon completing the GCS program, fill out the evaluation form(s) found on the back of each learning check. Mail the registration form and learning check(s) to the State Extension Office:
Guiding Children Successfully
2301 S. University Ave. Little Rock, AR 72204
(NOTE: this address is found on the back of the GCS registration form)
- Baby Sign Language
- Caring for Children with Special Needs
- Caring for Children in Foster Care
- Child Abuse and Neglect
- Celebrating Cultural Diversity in the Classroom
- Yoga for Kids
- Safety First! In Child Care
Click here: http://courses.uada.edu
Any of the GCS programs are eligible to be repeated for credit every four years. Also, Continuing Education Units (CEU's) are available for a $10 fee. Please request a CEU application by emailing email@example.com.
For non-accredited participants or those individuals who want to use the program for personal use, all of the GCS programs are available through your local country CES office.