At Home with UAEX
Learn from the best Extension Educators on being at home with UAEX!
Meatless Monday: Creamy Vegetable Casserole
by Original Author: Kylie Harris, Searcy County | Adapted for Blog: Torrie Smith, Van Buren County
Meatless meals are gaining popularity because they are cost effective. Shopping smart doesn’t just have to mean skipping the meat. Follow these tips to save more!
- Eat before you shop. Being hungry can lead to impulse buys and less healthy choices.
- Look for sales flyers and discounted items.
- Use coupons BUT only for things you need and use.
- Scan the whole shelf, top to bottom. Stores usually stock the most expensive things at eye level.
- Buy store brands when possible, they’re cheaper.
- Check the back for the freshest items, especially in produce, meat and dairy.
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 2 (15-ounce) cans low-sodium mixed vegetables, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-ounce) can low-sodium corn, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup reduced-fat cheese, shredded
- ¾ cup low-fat sour cream
- 1 cup cornflakes, crushed
Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 9x9 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. In large skillet, cook onions and celery in olive oil until softened. In large bowl, mix all ingredients (except corn flakes) until well combined. Pour into baking dish. Top with cornflakes. Bake 30-40 minutes or until hot throughout. Allow to sit 10 minutes before serving.
Yield: 8 servings Serving size: ¾ cup
Calories 153, Fat 6g, Protein 6g, Fiber 4g, Sodium 368mg, Carbohydrate 19g
USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer. This material was funded by USDA's Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). SNAP provides nutrition assistance to people with low income. It can help you buy nutritious foods for a better diet. To find out more, contact https://access.arkansas.gov/