Direct Marketing in Arkansas Agriculture
Direct marketing is defined as "The business of selling products or services directly to the public, rather than through retailers". For Arkansans farmers this is a viable way to increase farming profits. Facts and information about direct sales are noted below.
Direct-to-Consumer (DTC) sales:
- Farms increased by 6.2 % and sales increased by 32 % between 2002 and 2007
- Farms increased 6.9 %, with no change in sales between 2007 and 2012
- Arkansas DTC farms decreased 16% and sales dropped 28% (2007-12). Recent activity suggests dramatic increase in this area.
- Many have suggested that the lower growth rate in DTC is the result of increased “local” sales activity though traditional retail/wholesale outlets.
- Ag Marketing Service lists 108 Farmers Markets in Arkansas
- Ag Marketing Service lists 2 Food hubs in Arkansas
- Ag Marketing Service lists 14 direct marketing farmers in Arkansas
- DTC sales in AR $6,369
- CSA is Community Supported Agriculture. It’s an arrangement between community members and a farmer in which the community member pays an up-front fee to the farmer in exchange for a weekly box of produce throughout the growing season.
- Farmers Market is two or more farmer-producers that sell their own agricultural products directly to the general public at a fixed location, which includes fruits and vegetables, meat, fish, poultry, dairy products, and grains.
- A Roadside stand or market is a temporary or semi-temporary structure that allows farmers to sell directly to consumers. They can be located on or off the farm, preferably in close proximity to a high traffic area.
- having an online market via the Internet can be a great way to increase farm visibility and for local marketing, Sell directly on the web to consumers, shipping them products or offering pickup.
- On-site sales allows businesses to control their brand’s story and relay their messaging directly to consumers. Also for many, the most compelling reason to sell directly to consumers is the potential to collect massive amounts of customer data.