Arkansas Dairy Cattle
How much milk does a cow produce in a day?
Most dairy cows are milked two to three times per day. On average, a cow will produce six to seven gallons of milk each day.
What happens to a cow after it no longer produces milk?
Cows that have concluded their production in the herd, are utilized for production of ground beef. Dairy veal and dairy steers are sold in similar markets and under identical USDA grading systems to more traditional beef breed steers. Byproducts of dairy beef production include leather, fertilizer, cosmetics, glue, and pharmaceuticals.
How many dairies are in Arkansas?
There are less than 100 dairies currently in Arkansas.
The 4-H Dairy Project is still a popular livestock enterprise for youth throughout the state. Dairy cattle are popular show animals at county, district and Arkansas State Fairs. There are also leadership activities available such as dairy judging, state dairy camp, dairy quiz bowl, and dairy skillathon.
- FSA3046 Breeding Soundness Evaluation for Beef and Dairy Bulls PDF
- FSA3137 Annual and Perennial Forage Clovers for Arkansas PDF
- FSA4000 Alfalfa for Dairy Cattle PDF
- FSA4005 Dairy Production and Management Records PDF
- FSA4007 Dairy Reproductive Management Using Artificial Insemination PDF
- FSA4008 Body Condition Scoring With Dairy Cattle PDF
- FSA4014 Factors Affecting Milk Composition of Lactating Cows PDF
- FSA4018 Aflatoxin M1 in Milk PDF
- FSA4019 Cooling Dairy Cattle in the Holding Pen PDF
- FSA7031 Controlling Horn Flies on Cattle PDF
For more information contact:
|Like us on Facebook!||
Livestock and Forage Links
- Agricultural Organizations and Associations
- American Farm Bureau
- American Feed Industry Association
- American Forage and Grassland Council
- American Rabbit Breeders Association
- Arkansas Cattlemen's Association
- Arkansas Farm Bureau
- Arkansas Pork Producers Association
- Arkansas State Fair
- National Cattlemen's Beef Association
- National Pork Board
- National Pork Producers Council
- Agricultural Research Service News & Information, USDA
- Animal & Plant Health Inspection Service APHIS
- Arkansas Agricultural Statistics Service
- Arkansas State Fact Sheets, USDA/ERS
- Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy BSE, FAS/USDA
- Center for Disease Control CDC
- Food and Drug Administration
- Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) Consumer Publications
- Foot and Mouth Disease, USDA
- National Agricultural Statistics Service NASS
- State of Arkansas
- US Department of Agriculture USDA
- Market Reports
- University Web Sites
- Youth Agricultural Education