UACES Facebook C.E.S.P. 3-27: Moving Expenses
skip to main content


C.E.S.P. 3-27: Moving Expenses

Date Revised: 3-5-2010
Supersedes: 10-17-2007

Summary: Establishes policy and procedures concerning payment of moving expenses for Extension employees who are newly appointed or who are relocated due to transfer.

The Cooperative Extension Service pays expenses up to a maximum of $5,000 for the movement of household effects for certain new appointees and for employees who relocate as a result of transfer or administrative action. Any amount above $5,000 (up to maximum of 10% of the annual salary) must have prior approval by the Associate Vice President for Agriculture - Extension. This includes regular moving expenses plus 15 cents per mile for the one-way trip to the new location to report for work. (Filed on T.R.A.V.-207 M.O.)


  • Employees who transfer to a new location with a salary increase or laterally without a salary increase may have their moving expenses paid. Interns receiving a salary adjustment at the time of reassignment may also qualify for moving expense reimbursement.
  • Employees who initiate a personal request and are awarded a lateral transfer to another location are not eligible for moving expense reimbursement.
  • Extension reserves the right to change the duty assignment and work station of an employee for programmatic, budgetary or personnel reasons. Employees who are asked to relocate are not automatically eligible for moving expense reimbursement. The employee may ask the Associate Vice President for Agriculture - Extension to consider reimbursement of moving expenses. Written requests will be judged individually on their merit.


  • The Associate Vice President for Agriculture - Extension or the Department Head will notify the employee in writing that moving expenses may be paid. Financial Services will determine whether or not a particular expense qualifies for reimbursement.
  • Preferred moving company: Extension has contracted with a moving company, whose use is preferred, but not mandatory.  Move scheduling should be done as soon as possible upon acceptance of employment and offer by C.E.S. to pay for moving expenses.  Move must be no later than one year from the start of employment. PLEASE NOTE: Employees should contact the local representative for Allied Van Lines listed below and ask for U of A Cooperative Extension Service pricing.

Local Representative:
Sheila Waldrop or Jo Bardin

Contracted Moving Company:
A-1 Daniel Moving & Storage Co Inc (Agent for Allied)
Phone: 800-282-6608
Fax: 501-375-1075

  • Not the preferred moving company

If Extension’s contracted moving company is not used, three written moving estimates must be secured.  On-line estimates will not be accepted.  Justification should be provided if the firm with the lowest estimate is not selected.  Receipts are required for all reimbursements. Employees not using the preferred moving company:

  1. Must use a professional mover in order to claim reimbursement. Reimbursement will only be made with appropriate documentation from a vendor (business).
  2. Original receipts from the vendor must be submitted for reimbursement. Payment will not be made for friends or relatives assisting with the move or for personal expenses incurred during the move.
  3. Must submit the original copy of the vendor invoice to Financial Services together with the Form P.U.R.C.H. - 306, "Estimated Cost of Moving Expenses" in order to file for reimbursement.
  • Employees using truck or trailer rental for move:
  1. Total expense for truck/trailer rental and gasoline must not exceed $1,500.
  2. Original receipts from the vendor (rental firm/gas station) are required for reimbursement.
  3. Complete Form P.U.R.C.H. - 306, "Estimated Cost of Moving Expenses," and send to Financial Services to file for reimbursement.
  4. No reimbursement will be made to employees who move using their own vehicles or to friends or relatives who assist with the move.
  5. No reimbursement will be made for personal expenses incurred during the move.

The following items will not be paid:

  • Travel expenses, meals, and lodging for pre-move house hunting trips.
  • Expenses of buying and selling a home.
  • Temporary living expenses.
  • Meals while moving from the old residence to the new residence.
  • Excess reimbursement for mileage (other than the one time move to the new location at 15 cents per mile).
  • Expenses incurred in the movement of vehicles, farm equipment, boats, trailers, and other items not normally considered household items.
  • Expenses for moving to a different location within a county, except in certain circumstances involving relocation to a different town when the request is approved in advance by the Associate Vice President for Agriculture - Extension.
  • Expenses for moving incurred by an employee already living in one town and working in another.
  • Charges made by relatives or friends of the employee for assisting with the move.
  • Expenses for plumbers, electricians, or other similar service providers.
  • Expenses for moving outside storage buildings.
  • Expenses for removal or installation of T V antenna, cable, satellite dish, etc.
  • Charges for insurance beyond that provided by the mover. Generally, a nominal amount is included in the total charge by the company and does not appear as a separate item on the bill. Additional coverage appearing separately on the bill must be paid by the employee.