System Management - Office
C.E.S.P. 4-7: Office Management - County Extension Office
Date Revised: 4-23-2001
Summary: Establishes guidelines for the appearance and operation of the county Extension Office.
It is imperative that county Extension faculty and staff reflect a positive image in the local community. The following guidelines should be helpful in accomplishing this objective.
I. Office Appearance
• Keep the office clean and orderly.
• Avoid covering walls with unnecessary calendars, posters, etc.
• Use such items as wall maps of the county or suitable photographs or paintings that make the office as attractive as possible.
• Do not allow papers, magazines or supplies to accumulate on desk tops, file cabinets, tables or the floor.
II. Office Operations
• Conduct office conferences on a weekly basis.
• Train administrative support supervisor and other support staff to carry out office routine and review assignments periodically.
• Delegate responsibility for filing to the administrative support supervisor.
• Instruct the administrative support supervisor to open and read all official mail.
• Maintain a working knowledge of the filing system sufficient to locate materials and to train new support staff.
III. Clientele Service
• Maintain a schedule of one day per week for office calls.
• Answer correspondence the day it is received. If information is not available for immediate reply, acknowledge the request and give an expected reply date.
• Write or call immediately to obtain needed information that is not available in the office.
• Visit the office at least once daily, if possible. When performing field work, keep support staff advised of expected itinerary and time of arrival at the office.