Employee Benefits - Leave and Holidays
C.E.S.P. 7-12: Military Leave
Date Revised: 4-20-2001
Summary: Establishes policy pertaining to granting of military leave.
• Employees who are members of the National Guard or any of the reserve branches of the Armed Forces of the United States shall be granted leave at the rate of 15 working days per calendar year plus necessary travel time for annual training requirements. A maximum of 15 days may be carried forward to the succeeding calendar year. Such leave shall be granted without loss of pay and in addition to annual leave.
• Each employee who requests military leave shall furnish a copy of his or her orders to the appropriate supervisor.
• An employee who is drafted or called to active duty in the Armed Forces of the United States or who volunteers for military service shall be placed on extended military leave without pay. Upon application within 90 days after the effective date of his or her release from active duty, he or she will be reinstated to the position vacated or an equivalent position at no loss of seniority or any other benefits and privileges of employment. An employee who enlists or reenlists for a second consecutive tour of military duty for more than 4 years (5 years if drafted or called) will forfeit his or her re-employment rights.
• Military personnel called to duty in emergencies by the Governor or by the President of the United States shall be granted leave with pay not to exceed 30 working days, after which leave without pay will be granted. This leave shall be granted in addition to regular annual leave.
• Act 925 and 1036 of 1993 provide that any person called by the Governor of Arkansas to active duty as a member of the Arkansas National Guard or as a member of the militia shall be afforded such employment and re-employment rights, privileges, benefits, and protections in employment as though that person had been called to active duty in service of the United States and shall not be denied hiring, retention in employment, promotion, or other incident or advantage of employment because of any obligation as a member of the Arkansas National Guard or the militia.