Arkansas Irrigation Yield Contest: "Most Crop per Drop"
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions related to the contest or call 870-673-2661.
Deadline for entry form is June 30, 2020, meter will need to be sealed before first irrigation, call 870-243-2604 or 870-673-2661 to request meter seal at least 5 days before.
The University of Arkansas Division of Agriculture has been demonstrating Irrigation Water Management Practices on cooperator farms for five years. Experience has shown that when applied effectively water use can be reduced by 24% on average with no yield penalty. Reductions in water use of around 40% have been documented. The adoption rate of Computerized Hole Selection is over 40% indicating that this is now a mainstream practice in Arkansas.
The Arkansas Irrigation Yield Contest 2019 Annual Report is now available.
The Arkansas Irrigation Yield Contest is designed to test the knowledge and ability of growers to produce the “Most Crop per Drop.”
- $11,000 seed tote credit for first place winner in rice sponsored by Ricetec, $5000 second place prize sponsored by M&M Mars
- $6000 cash for the first place winner in corn, $3000 for second place, and $1000 for third place sponsored by the Arkansas Corn and Grain Sorghum Promotion Board
- $6000 cash for the first place winner in soybeans, $3000 for second place, and $1000 for third place sponsored by the Arkansas Soybean Promotion Board.
- $1,333 in additional cash from Irrometer and Delta Plastics for each winner
- $ in products from Seametrics, Trellis, Mccrometer, and Irrometer.
$20,485 in total for each winner in corn, soybeans and rice.
Rules and Entry
You may participate in the contest by identifying and irrigating a 30 acre field where water use using a propeller meter or other meter approved by the UADA contest staff is used to measure water use in the irrigated field. Yield is measured by harvesting 3 acres in a skip pattern. Harvest must be completed top to bottom of the field. See rules below.
Entrants should read the contest rules carefully as the contest is similar to a yield contest but requires water use to be measured in addition to yield.
How to Enter:
- Complete the contest entry form
- Send a check made out to the University of Arkansas and entry form for $100*
- Locate a portable flow meter or have in-place meter approved for use in the contest. Meter must only be used to measure water use during contest. Meters will be sealed to the irrigation system.
Contestants are officially entered only after their entry form has been received and processed by the UADA. Entry forms must be postmarked within 10 days of meter sealing, and no later than June 30th, 2019. Incomplete entry forms will be disqualified. Contest field locations must be entered on entry forms and boundaries of the field must be identified before any irrigation event, including the flushing of rice fields. The supervisor must certify the beginning meter reading on the entry form.
*A $100 entry fee is required. This fee will be used to defray the cost of travel for Supervisors for harvest. Make entry fee checks out to the University of Arkansas.
Who can enter?
- Entries are for Rice, Soybeans, and Corn irrigated fields only.
- Contestant must be a certified FSA owner/operator of the entry plot and the field must have a history of being irrigated.
- A copy of the FSA Form 578, including farm summary, must be submitted with the contest entry form.
- Contestants may not enter more than once per crop and per season.
- Contestants must be 18 years old at the time of entry.
- University of Arkansas employees and spouses are prohibited from entering the contest.
- Board members, employees, spouses of the Arkansas Rice Research and Promotion Board,
Arkansas Corn and Grain Sorghum Promotion Board, and the Arkansas Soybean Promotion
board are prohibited from entering the contest.