Forests in urban areas are unique and important in Arkansas. These forests could include parks, neighborhoods, downtown areas, and others.Learn more about community forestry.
Arkansas' forests provide a diversity of products and other important benefits including: timber production, wildlife habitat, recreational opportunities, watershed protection, and aesthetic values. You can find information on all these values in the forestry links tabs.
Some Interesting Facts About Arkansas' Forestland
- More than half of the State (55%) is forested.
- 42% of all woodland is made up of oak/hickory forest types, followed by loblolly/shortleaf pine at 29%.
- Private landowners including farmers, ranchers, and other individuals own over 58% of the timberland in the state and many actively manage their woodlands.
- National Forests account for 13% of Arkansas's total forested acreage.
- Forest resource companies own or lease 23% of the state's timberland.
- The forest products industry, including the pulp and paper industry, had a total jobs impact of 64,789 employees in 2011, representing labor income of $3.6 billion.
- Arkansas forests provide habitat to a host of wildlife species. These range from game species, such as deer, turkey, and ducks, to songbirds for wildlife viewing, and many reptiles and amphibians.
Do you have problems with pesky wildlife? Or do you have a disease in your yard tree that concerns you? On the pages that follow, you will find this and other information about managing your woodlands for wildlife and timber, current timber market prices, what to do about storm damage to your trees and woodlands, and other important topics.
Forest health is important to keeping Arkansas' forestlands vigorous, resistant to environmental stresses and productive.Learn more about forest health.
Properly managed pine and hardwood woodlands help landowners better achieve goals and maximize forest outputs.Learn more about managing woodlands.
Arkansas' timberlands produce an array of versatile and valuable timber-based resources.Learn more about marketing timber products.
Find out what general timber market conditions are for north and south Arkansas.See the latest timber price report.
Did you know that women landowners, including agriculture and forest land, are the fastest growing population of landowners?Resources for women woodland owners.
Extension Forestry Faculty