Join me as I partner with University of Georgia FCS agent Becca Stackhouse to bring you a new food budgeting series. Learn ways to save money on food as you plan, shop, prepare, and entertain!
Made at Home - Taste Buds on a Budget Series:
1 - Plan for Your Budget
by Katie Cullum
#1 – Plan for Your Budget
Did you know that the #1 thing you can do to save money on food is to PLAN? Just winging it or eating out a lot can really bust your budget. So start planning now!
Here are some tools mentioned in the video:
- You can use your calendar or a meal planning worksheet. This worksheet is one of my favorites since it has space to include items that needs to be used up from your pantry, freezer, or refrigerator.
- Grocery List – You can use anything, but this list is divided by grocery departments.
- How to Read a Nutrition Label publication
- Learn about how to use Unit Pricing
- Safe Food Handling
- Use what you have - Create a Comforting Casserole or Make a Meal with What’s on Hand
- Meal Planning to the Rescue post
- Eating Well on a Budget -
- Eating Healthy in a Jiffy – Whole Foods - Learn how whole foods can help you stick to your budget.
- How to Save Money on Cheese (a great convenience vs. DIY comparison!)
- How to DIY to Save Money
- Healthy Fast Foods
Roasted Potatoes & Vegetables with Becca
12 Red Potatoes
1 large Onion
1 Large Green Bell Pepper
1 tsp Paprika
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp Oil
Preheat oven to 425* F. Thoroughly wash your hands with soap and water.
Thoroughly wash potatoes, onion, and bell pepper with a vegetable brush under running water.
Cut red potatoes into 1 inch cubes and place in a large bowl.
Peel and cut onion into larger slices. Remove seeds from bell pepper and slice into large slice and add to onion and potatoes. Add spices.
Layer on a sheet pan. Place in preheated oven for 20 - 30 minutes
or until red potatoes are tender and easily pierced with a fork.
Occasionally flip potatoes and vegetables.
Use leftovers of recipe to make Egg Muffins, or use in an omelet!