Try this quick delicious side dish that is sure to please!
This summer our Ag Agent Amy and I started a small garden at Christopher Homes Housing Authority in DeValls Bluff. Our county is considered somewhat of a food desert, so our goal was to provide gardening opportunities for the senior adults living there, give them access to fresh, healthy food, and help reduce their monthly food costs. The residents have been so excited over it! In fact, we hear from them at least once a week.
One of the vegetables we planted was summer squash. Summer squash is one of my favorite vegetables and it’s so easy to cook. Since it is now ready to pick, I demonstrated an Italian Summer Squash Skillet recipe for them to sample. It was a big hit!
Try this dish next time you need an easy, healthy and delicious side dish!
Italian Summer Squash Skillet
Yield: Serves 4
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 medium zucchini, diced into 1/2-inch pieces
2 medium yellow squash, diced into 1/2-inch pieces
1 ½ cups grape tomatoes, cut in half
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
½ tsp. garlic powder
Salt and pepper
½ cup shredded parmesan cheese
1. Heat olive oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
2. Add in zucchini and yellow squash and sauté for 2 minutes.
3. Add the tomatoes, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder.
4. Continue to sauté until the squash is tender, about 3-5 minutes.
5. Sprinkle in half of the parmesan cheese and season with salt and pepper.
6. Stir and top with remaining cheese.
7. Serve warm.
Recipe source: Farmers Market Cookbook
Nutrition Information Per Serving: 119 Calories, Total Fat 7 g, Protein 7 g, Total Carbohydrate 10 g, Dietary Fiber 3 g, Sodium 457 mg.
Download your copy here: Italian Summer Squash Skillet