I received the 2020 Census form, now what?
by Pamela Luker, CEA FCS
By now, most of us have received the 2020 Census forms in our mailboxes. Some of you may be wondering if you really have to complete it and why it even matters. After all, do we really need to another form to complete?
Do I have to complete the 2020 Census?
- Yes, it is required by law.
- While required by law to participate, the Census Bureau is also required by law to protect your answers.
Why does it matter?
- It determines how the 675 Billion in federal funding is dispersed across the nation.
- It determines how much funding local communities receive for key services.
- It determines how many seats each state gets in Congress.
- It can even impact the national lunch program in our schools.
- Undercounted could mean underfunding for a decade!
- A 1% undercount of Arkansans could result in the loss of $970 million-$1 billion dollars over the course of 10 years for the state.
Who needs to be counted?
- Every person living in your home should be counted in your census regardless of age.
How do I complete it?
Here are three ways that you can complete the 2020 Census.
- Online at 2020census.gov
- Phone at 844-330-2020
- Mail back your completed form to the enclosed envelope.
Visit https://www.uaex.edu/business-communities/census/default.aspx for more information.
2020 Census Day video coming soon...