Extension Educational Programs & Services
Ashley County, Arkansas
The Cooperative Extension Service offers a host of educational programs and services. If you do not see what you are looking for below, please contact our county Extension Office for assistance.
The Ashley County Extension Office conducts demonstrations, trainings, and research on an annual basis. Pesticide applicator trainings are conducted twice a year to keep producers current with state regulations. Soil Samples and diagnostic samples of feed, and litter can be submitted to the Ashley County office for testing. Demonstrations are conducted with local producers to educate them on current research based U of A recommendations. Demonstrations are currently being conducted in Corn, Rice, Soybeans, Cotton and Wheat. The Ashley County office works closely with U of A specialists and professors to conduct research on local issues concerning Ashley County farmers.
Family & Consumer Sciences
Helping families enhance their quality of life through education is the goal of the Family & Consumer Science agent with the University of Arkansas Division of Agriculture Cooperative Extension Service. The Family & Consumer Sciences Agent in Ashley County develops and delivers programs and information aimed at making life better, healthier and safer for individuals and families. So let us help you put knowledge to work to improve your life. We offer a wide range of educational programs that can positively impact you and your family. Contact Iris Phifer at 870-853-2080.
Education Programs Offered
- ReNew You Weight Loss Boot Camp
- This 15 week program is a three-part approach to weight control, anyone who wants
to lose at least 10 pounds may join. The program focuses on:
- Choosing a sensible, balanced diet that will fit your lifestyle
- Being physically active
- Making livelong behavioral changes
Photo: Graduates of the Hamburg ReNew You Weight Loss Boot Camp
Photo: Graduates of the Crossett Weight Loss Boot Camp
- This 15 week program is a three-part approach to weight control, anyone who wants to lose at least 10 pounds may join. The program focuses on:
- Mediterranean Cooking School
The class features a variety of dishes. The health benefits with the Mediterranean diet includes reducing risk of cancer, heart disease, high blood pressure and diabetes. The Mediterranean diet is known as the gold standard for lifelong good health.
- Smart Nutrition Active People Education Program (SNAP-Ed)
SNAP-Ed is a nutrition education program for limited resource families that can help you fix healthy, low-cost meals and snacks for your family, feel better and have more energy, and get the most for your food dollar. SNAP-Ed encourages healthy choices and active lifestyles through hands on activities, cooking demonstrations, small group discussions, educational displays, and handouts and activities.
- Walk Across Arkansas
Walk Across Arkansas is an 8 week exercise campaign where you and your team set personal goals for physical activity and try to meet them. Walk Across Arkansas is conducted in the Fall & Spring each year.
- Extension Get Fit Training Program
This is a community based strength training program targeted to mid-life and older adults. The program is designed to increase strength, and improve balance and flexibility. Classes meet three times a week throughout the year.
- Financial Management
This program helps individuals and families achieve their financial goals, manage debt and plan for the future. Available programs include: Arkansas Saves, Smart Start for Newlyweds, Financial Management Education and Get Real, Here's the Deal. We also provide money management activities families can do together so children learn to manage money and develop good financial habits at an early age.
- Family Life
Family Life is full of challenges, the Ashley County Family & Consumer Sciences Agent offers a variety of educational programs and information to help strengthen individuals and families. Information such as:
- The Personal Journey-teaches individuals how to be positive and enjoy life
- The Marriage Garden-helps couples learn how to cultivate a healthy marriage
- The Parenting Journey-teaches sound and practical lessons on raising healthy, loving and responsible children
- See the World Through My Eyes-helps parents see things from their child's perspective
- Child care providers trainings- make verified training available for busy child care professionals both online and in the classroom.
- Volunteer Organizations
Extension Homemakers Clubs empower individuals through continuing education, leadership development, and community service.
Extension Homemakers Clubs:
- Creative Minds EHC-2nd Thursday, 1:00 P.M. Soldiers Chapel Fellowship Hall, 906 N. Pine, Hamburg-
- President-Alice Hill
- Potpourri EHC- 2nd Tuesday,6:30 P.M. Crossett Public Library-1700 S. Main, Crossett-
- President-Barbara Griffin
- Springhill EHC- 3rd Thursday, 1:30 P.M. Pinehill Community Building -Ashley 471 Road, Hamburg-
- President-Loon Thacker
Ashley County 4-H serves over 150 youth through club programming, including three main 4-H mission mandates, Citizenship, Healthy Lifestyle, and 4-H Science. 4-H also conducts school and other enrichment programs throughout the year. As described below, Ashley County has eight active clubs and conducts various county activities throughout the year. For more information about becoming involved with the Ashley County 4-H program, either as a youth member or a 4-H adult volunteer, please contact us at the Ashley County Extension Office at 870-853-2080.
- 4-H Clubs
Bullseye Bandits- Shooting Sports
1st Monday of the month
EHC Room & McLemore Residence, Hamburg
Leaders- Tom McLemore & Lori Pennington
Conservative Consuming Teens- Consumer Economics & Food and Nutrition
2nd Wednesday, 3:30 PM
New Bethel Church, Crossett
- Leaders- Kimberly Langstaff & JoBeth Phifer
Outriders 4-H Club- Horse Project
2nd Tuesday, 6:00 PM, Courthouse Annex
2nd Sunday, 2:00 PM, Hamburg Riding Arena, Hamburg
Leaders- Lonni Davis, Felicia Pullin, April Guest, Wanda Mauser, & Brad Gray
Portland- In-School Club
Monthly, Portland Elementary, Portland
Leader- Christy West, Kim Allison, & Janice Burns
Smarties 4-H Club Consumer Economics & Foods & Nutrition
2nd Wednesday, 3:30 PM
New Bethel Church, Crossett
Leaders Kim Langstaff & JoBeth Phifer
- County 4-H Activities
County O-Rama Competition
Held yearly in May, 4-H O-Rama is a venue for 4-H members to exhibit the knowledge and skills they have gained through 4-H by giving speeches and skill demonstrations. County winners continue on to the district and state levels.
Broiler Bar-B-Que Workshop & Contest
Held yearly in April, the 4-H Broiler Bar-B-Que workshop and contest teach youth how to safely and properly grill a chicken. County winners continue on to the district and state levels.
Workshops are held at various times throughout the year on different topics, according to the need of 4-H members and volunteers.
- Yoga for Kids 4-H Summer Camp-July 18 -19 9-18 yrs old, 1st United Methodist Church -Crossett- 1:00 pm-4:00 pm
- Kids in the Kitchen Cooking Schools- 9-12 yrs old, July 21-22 & July 26-27 EH Room Courthouse Annex Hamburg-10:00 am -3:00 pm
Ross Foundation Photography Contest
Held yearly in the spring, the Ross Foundation Photography Contest allows 4-H members to exhibit their photography skills. Each 4-H member is allowed to enter 4 separate photographs.
In order for youth and volunteers to participate in 4-H competitions and receive the monthly 4-H newsletter, they must be enrolled through the 4-H Online system at https://arkansas.4honline.com. Instructions for enrolling through the 4-H Online system are in the following PDF fact sheet.