Summer Salads | Savvy in the South
by Katie Frizzell
Salads don’t have to be boring anymore! Packed with nutrient loaded fruits and veggies, salads are a refreshing summer food you can have as a side dish or as the main event. Add your choice of protein and healthy fats to your salad for a well-rounded meal. The best part is that salads are ready super quick, and you can find most of the ingredients in your fridge and pantry or at your local store. Dress up your picnic table, pack a healthy lunch, or be the star of the family cookout with any of these fun salad recipes.
Print the recipes:
Watch me demonstrate the Asian Chicken Salad!
Deconstructed Asian Chicken Wrap Salad
Yield: 3 servings | Serving size 1 c of salad, 4oz chicken, 2 Tbsp of dressing | 400 cal per serving
12 oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 c coleslaw mix (green and purple cabbage)
- 1 c matchstick carrots
- ¼ c fresh cilantro
- 2 tsp Sesame seeds
- ¼ c Roasted peanuts or almonds
Sweet and Tangy Dressing:
- ¼ c honey
- ¼ c olive oil
- ¼ nut butter (peanut or almond preferred)
- 3 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce or coconut aminos
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp fresh grated ginger or 1 tsp dried
- 1 garlic clove, pressed or grated or 1 tsp dried
- Season chicken breast with salt and pepper on both sides and bake in the oven on 350 for about 30 minutes or until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Wisk together all dressing ingredients.
- In a bowl, toss the coleslaw mix, carrots, and cilantro with a Tbsp or so of the dressing.
- When ready to serve, build the salad: 1 cup of the salad base, 4 oz of grilled chicken, drizzle on about 2 Tbsp of dressing, then add any extra toppings of choice. The salad base and dressing both can keep for 7 days in the fridge. The chicken can keep for 3-4 days in the fridge.
Caprese Pasta Salad
Yield: 4 servings | Serving size ¾ c | 238 cal per serving
- 1 c pasta, cooked (choose something bite sized such as rotini, farfalle, corkscrew, etc.)
- 1 c cherry tomatoes, washed, halved
- 8oz of mozzarella cheese, cubed or pearls
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil leaves, chopped
- ¼ c Olive oil
- 2 Tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp Garlic powder
- ¼ tsp Black pepper
- Cook pasta according to package directions. It is best when cooked al dente (firm but not too hard).
- Wisk together dressing ingredients and set aside.
- Prepare other ingredients: tomatoes, cheese, and basil.
- Put cooled pasta, tomatoes and cheese in a bowl and toss. Garnish with basil. Drizzle over the dressing, saving half for later. As the salad sits in the fridge, it may become dry. Drizzle more dressing as needed. The salad and dressing both can keep for 7 days in the fridge.
Red, White, and Blue Salad
Yield: 4 servings | Serving size: 1 ½ c salad and 2 Tbsp dressing | 306 cal per serving
4 c spring greens mix
- 1 c fresh strawberries, washed, topped, and quartered
1 c fresh blueberries or blackberries
- ½ c feta cheese crumbles
- 2 Tbsp chopped pecans or walnuts
Lemon Poppyseed Dressing:
- ¼ c Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 tsp poppyseeds
- Wisk together all dressing ingredients and set aside.
- Wash all berries. Cut up strawberries.
- Chop nuts if needed.
- Assemble the salad: greens, berries, cheese, nuts.
- Drizzle dressing over salad.
- Do not put dressing on until ready to serve. Both salad and dressing will keep for 7 days in fridge.
I hope you will give these fun summer salad recipes a try!