Eating healthy is hard, but living a healthy lifestyle doesn’t mean giving up your favorite foods. There are many ways to make our favorite unhealthy foods a little healthier. This recipe is for a Quick and Easy Pizza that is delicious and carries a lot fewer calories than traditional takeout pizza.
Yield one 14 in. pizza / Prep time 30 min. / Cook time 19-26 min.
2 c all-purpose flour
2 ¼ tsp of rapid rise instant yeast
1 tsp sugar
¾ c warm water (110 F - 115 F)
Nonstick cooking spray
½ tsp Italian seasoning
1 c marinara sauce
6 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
Toppings of your choice
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, mix 1 c flour, the yeast, sugar, and water.
- Gradually stir in the other cup of flour until the mixture forms a ball. Do not over mix the dough.
- Dust a clean surface with a little flour, then using clean hands, knead the dough for about 5 min.
- Spray another bowl with nonstick spray and put the dough in the bowl. Cover with a clean dish towel and let it sit for 15 min. You can sit the bowl on the turned off stove while the oven is getting warm to help the dough rise.
- Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray and spread the dough into an even layer about 1/4 to 1/8 in. thick onto the baking sheet. Pizza can be circular or rectangular. If it is a circle, it should be about 14 in. in diameter. If it is a rectangle, it should be about 12 in. wide x 16 in. long.
- Sprinkle Italian seasoning on the dough. Bake the dough by itself for 3min.
- Spread the marinara sauce over the dough, leaving about a ½ in. edge. Then add cheese and toppings of choice. Do not put too many toppings or the pizza will become soggy.
- Bake for 16-20 min. until crust is golden and crispy.
- Make it whole grain! Substitute half the flour for whole wheat flour for added fiber, or make it all whole grain just add another cup of water and increase baking time by 20 min.
- Get creative with toppings, add healthy and colorful veggies, use turkey sausage or pepperonis for added protein, or add another kind of cheese.
- For elevations of 3,000 ft. or more, use ¼ to ½ c less flour, just adding enough flour so that the mixture forms a ball and is not too sticky. Small amounts of flour may need to be added while kneading. When baking the crust without toppings, add an additional 3 min. for 6 min. total.
Nutrition Facts for pizza without additional toppings
Serving size 2 slices of pizza
I hope you will give this Quick and Easy Pizza recipe a try, and if you do, be sure to connect with me online so I can see your savvy creation!
Source: Let’s Cook: Eating Smart, Being Active Cookbook, Colorado State University Extension, 2017.
The University of Arkansas System Division of Agriculture offers all its Extension and Research programs and services without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, age, disability, marital or veteran status, genetic information, or any other legally protected status, and is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.