Arkansas Ballot Issues
Arkansas is one of 15 states where residents can propose an amendment to the state constitution or refer a state law to voters. Legislators also have the authority to refer up to three amendments to voters.
Citizens can file the title of their ballot issue with the Arkansas Secretary of State at any time to begin the initiative process whereby they collect voter signatures to qualify an issue for the 2022 statewide ballot.
State lawmakers filed 43 proposed constitutional amendments before the February 2021 deadline. They will now spend the next few weeks at committee meetings in the House and Senate narrowing down their proposals. A simple majority vote is needed to add the proposals to the 2022 ballot.
Want Year-Round Arkansas Ballot Issue Education?
- Subscribe to our monthly email newsletter.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
- Read our blog posts about ballot issues and other election news on the Community, Professional and Economic Development unit blog.
- Request a presentation to your organization or group. Ballot issue education programs can be requested by contacting your local county extension agent or by contacting the Public Policy Center at 501-671-2160.
- Ask us a question. Send your ballot issue questions to email@example.com.
What Other Elections Are Happening?
Arkansas cities and counties often hold elections throughout the year related to property or sales tax or other important local matters. We provide fact sheets on some local issues by request from our county agents.
About Our Materials
Since 2004, the Public Policy Center has published unbiased fact sheets on statewide ballot measures so voters have a better understanding of what is being asked of them on Election Day. The fact sheets go through a vetting process that includes reviews by issue supporters and opponents.
In 2020, we distributed 38,000 ballot issue voter guides across Arkansas' 75 counties. People also downloaded the guide more than 18,000 times. Find past voter guides in our archive.
What will I find in Extension's ballot voter guide?
- How the proposal will appear on the ballot
- Answers to some basic questions about each issue
- Reasons why people may support or oppose the proposal
- A worksheet to record your voting plans
State Ballot Issue Education Resources
- Extension Blog: Strengthening Arkansas Communities
- PPC Analysis: Citizen-Initiative Ballot Access Requirements by State (Jan. 2019)
- Past Ballot Years: Archives - Voter Guides and Newsletter
- 2020 Arkansas Initiative and Referenda Handbook
- Arkansas Ethics Commission
- Arkansas Secretary of State's Office
- Initiative & Referendum Institute (University of Southern California)
- Initiatives and Referenda - The Encyclopedia of Arkansas History and Culture
- Election Results for Past Arkansas Ballot Issues
- Voter Turnout by County (2020)
- Voter Turnout by County (2018)
- Voter Turnout by County (2016)