Stronger Economies Together - Northeast Arkansas
As part of the Northeast Arkansas Economic Development Coalition, six counties are working together to develop and implement a regional economic development plan that builds on the region's assets and comparative economic strengths. Counties involved include Clay, Craighead, Greene, Lawrence, Poinsett and Randolph.
A civic forum was held on September 27, 2017 in Paragould to begin exploring the region's strengths, challenges and opportunities. Missed the forum or need a recap of what happened? View the following documents to learn more:
- Notes from the Civic Forum
- Civic Forum Facilitation Presentation (includes Data Snapshot)
- Regional Data Snapshot Supplement (This document was created after the civic forum in response to questions raised at the event)
Planning Session 1: Overview & Exploration of Regional Data
The first formal planning session was held November 29, 2017 where regional representatives identified five key industry clusters for further consideration:
- Agribusiness, Food Processing and Technology
- Machinery Manufacturing
- Business and Financial Services
- Information Technology and Telecommunications
You can read Session 1 Notes to learn more about what occurred at this planning meeting. The following information was examined to identify industry clusters of interest:
- Information from the Civic Forum (see links above)
- Session 1 Facilitation Presentation
- Session 1 Regional Data Snapshot (Industry Cluster Analysis)
- Regional Industry Cluster Dashboard
- Aggregated Industry Cluster Definitions
- Overview and Exploration of Regional Data: Key Definitions
Planning Session 2: Evidence-Based Planning
Session 2 will be held on December 18, 2018 at the Paragould Civic Center at 10:00 a.m.-2:30 p.m. RSVP at (870) 236-7684. Individuals interested in attending this session are strongly encouraged to review the Preparing for SET Session 2 guide and review information from the previous sessions.
Additional planning sessions will be held in January and February 2018. The core steering committee is in the process of scheduling these sessions to develop the region's strategic plan, including identifying specific goals, objectives and actions steps. There are many ways in which you can get involved:
- Serve on the Regional Planning Team
- Participate in strategic planning meetings
- Spread the word with friends and colleagues so they can contribute to the effort
- Host or sponsor snacks at a strategic planning meeting
- Serve on the writing team
- Assist with implementing the strategic plan
To get involved, contact one of the individuals listed below.
- Sue McGowan, Paragould Regional Chamber of Commerce
firstname.lastname@example.org; (870) 236-7684
- Andrea Allen, Delta Center for Economic Development, Arkansas State University
email@example.com; (870) 972-3000
Stacey McCullough, University of Arkansas System Division of Agriculture Cooperative Extension Servicesmccullough@uaex.edu, (501) 671-2078
Bryan Exum, USDA Rural Developmentbryan.firstname.lastname@example.org, (870) 972-4671 ext. 4
About Stronger Economies Together (SET)
Two regions in Arkansas are currently participating in SET - one in Northeast Arkansas and one in Southeast Arkansas. Visit the Arkansas SET website to learn more about the program in our state.
Stronger Economies Together is a partnership among the Cooperative Extension Service, USDA Rural Development, the four Regional Rural Development Centers with leadership from the Southern Rural Development Center, USDA National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA), and the Purdue Center for Regional Development. Visit the national SET website for more information.