Stronger Economies Together - Northeast Arkansas
As part of the Northeast Arkansas Economic Development Coalition, six counties banded together to develop and implement a regional economic development plan that builds on the region's assets and comparative economic strengths. Counties involved include Clay, Craighead, Greene, Lawrence, Poinsett and Randolph.
As a result of the SET planning process, the region has set four primary goals:
- Workforce - Increase high school youth participation in global career preparation programs by 25% in 5 years.
- Broadband - Make broadband available to every household in the region by 2030.
- Agriculture - Expand local opportunities for new and value-added agriculture by 10% in region by 2020.
- Tourism - Increase tourism-related visitors from outside the region by 2% within one year.
Recap of Planning Process
Civic Forum - September 27, 2017
Initial exploration of region's strengths, challenges and opportunities:
- Notes from the Civic Forum
- Civic Forum Facilitation Presentation (includes Data Snapshot)
- Regional Data Snapshot Supplement (This document was created after the civic forum in response to questions raised at the event)
Session 1: Overview & Exploration of Regional Data - November 29, 2017
- Session 1 Notes
- Session 1 Facilitation Presentation
- Session 1 Regional Data Snapshot (Industry Cluster Analysis)
- Regional Industry Cluster Dashboard
- Aggregated Industry Cluster Definitions
- Overview and Exploration of Regional Data: Key Definitions
Session 2: Evidence-Based Planning - December 18, 2017
- Recap of Session 2
- Session 2 Facilitation Presentation
- Session 2 Regional Data Snapshot (Target Industry Clusters)
Session 3: Connecting Capitals - January 23, 2018
- Session 3 Notes
- Session 3 Facilitation Presentation
- NEAEDC Travel and
- Promoting Community Vitality & Sustainability: The Community Capitals Framework
- SMART Goals Handout
- Asset Mapping Homework Assignment
- SMART Goals Homework Assignment
Session 4: Finalizing the Plan - February 14, 2018
- Session 4 Notes
- Session 4 Facilitation Presentation
- Regional Economic Development Planning Chart Template
- Measurement Plan Template
- Ideas and Sources for Measuring Progress
- Plan of Action Template
Resources & Implementation - May 30, 2018
To get involved or learn more, contact:
- Sue McGowan, Paragould Regional Chamber of Commerce
email@example.com; (870) 236-7684
- Andrea Allen, Delta Center for Economic Development, Arkansas State University
firstname.lastname@example.org; (870) 972-3000
Stacey McCullough, University of Arkansas System Division of Agriculture Cooperative Extension Servicesmccullough@uaex.edu, (501) 671-2078
Bryan Exum, USDA Rural Developmentbryan.email@example.com, (870) 972-4671 ext. 4
About Stronger Economies Together (SET)
Two regions in Arkansas are currently participating in SET - one in Northeast Arkansas and one in Southeast Arkansas. Visit the Arkansas SET website to learn more about the program in our state.
Stronger Economies Together is a partnership among the Cooperative Extension Service, USDA Rural Development, the four Regional Rural Development Centers with leadership from the Southern Rural Development Center, USDA National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA), and the Purdue Center for Regional Development. Visit the national SET website for more information.