Create Bridges in Arkansas
Create Bridges - Celebrating REtail, Accommodations,
Tourism, and Entertainment by Building Rural Innovations and Developing Growth Economies
What is the Create Bridges initiative?
The Create Bridges initiative was launched to develop and test a process to promote and strengthen these
industries, particularly in rural areas.
The process is designed to:
1. Raise awareness of the role these important businesses play in the local economy;
2. Determine challenges and barriers negatively impacting those businesses; and
3. Develop and implement strategies to strengthen the retail, accommodations, tourism, and entertainment sectors within a region.
Create Bridges - Process
Create Bridges is a three year pilot with the first year spent engaging the community and collecting information and the second year spent implementing strategies designed by the regional steering committee. The steps include:
- Form a regional steering committee
- Conduct an asset map of CREATE businesses and existing training programs
- Host a CREATE BRIDGES forum
- Convene a retail academy
- Workforce development
- Business retention and expansion program
- Learn more about business retention and expansion here.
- Employee engagement
- Develop new strategies and actions appropriate for region based on data collected during Steps 2-4
Create Bridges - Regions Served
The Ozark Foothills region of Sharp, Fulton, and Izard counties has a demonstrated commitment to Create Bridges businesses and a clear desire to grow their tourism and retail industries. Famous for its annual Cave City Watermelon Festival, the area is currently in the planning process for a multi-city tourism event in 2019. It also boasts Ozarka College and the newly opened Spring River Innovation Hub. This region’s steering committee is comprised of a diverse group of stakeholders, ranging from city mayors to local business owners.
3C's (Cossatot Community Connection)
The 3C's region (Cossatot Community Connection) Little River, Howard, and Sevier region is working together to elevate Create Bridges businesses. The area is home to popular natural tourism spots, with heavy interstate traffic due to its proximity to major highways. This region’s steering committee is comprised of county extension agents and area economic developers, with a history of working together to conduct agricultural and leadership programming, and has the support of University of Arkansas Cossatot for potential training and educational opportunities.
Create Bridges Forum/Rally
- Ozark Foothills, Held March 26 in Salem, AR
- 3Cs, Held May 1 in Lockesburg, AR
Business Retention and Expansion Interviews
Interviews and Roundtables completed by October 2019. The Business Retention and Expansion interview questions can be found here:
- Business Retention and Expansion Interview Questions - 3Cs
- Business Retention and Expansion Interviews - Ozark Foothills
Employee Engagement Survey
- Completed in January 2020
Strategy Development and Launch
- Launched in October 2020
Want To Get Involved?
There are many ways to get involved in Create Bridges. Share your contact information in the form below and a Regional Steering Committee member will reach out soon.
For information about the 3C's (Cossatot Community Connection), contact Murriel Wiley at email@example.com.
Learn more about Create Bridges
While manufacturing and professional services are often the focus of economic development,
businesses focused on retail, accommodations, tourism and entertainment are important
to the viability of rural communities and regions. These industries provide needed
goods, services and amenities to local residents and visitors and enhance quality
of life. They are a major source of jobs and tax revenue in rural communities. They
often provide the first work experience for residents who move up the career path
within these businesses or go on to work in other sectors.
Currently, planning and training focused on these sectors is often neglected or underemphasized despite a need to strengthen it. As a result, small and large businesses alike face high worker turnover rates and a dwindling pool of mid/upper management workers.
The Create Bridges Initiative is a partnership among the Southern Rural Development Center (SRDC), University of Kentucky’s Community & Economic Development Initiative of Kentucky (CEDIK), University of Arkansas Cooperative Extension Service’s Community and Economic Development (UACES-CED), and Oklahoma State University Cooperative Extension Service.
- Southern Rural Development Center Create Bridges
- Create Bridges in Oklahoma
- Oklahoma Create Bridges Facebook
- Create Bridges in Kentucky