Breakthrough Solutions is an award-winning, next-generation strategic planning and development program of the University of Arkansas Cooperative Extension Service with partners in the public, private and non-profit sectors.
2018 Breakthrough Solutions Conference and Pre-Conference Workshop
Strengthening the Opportunity Pipeline in Your Community/Region
June 6-7, 2018
University of Arkansas Cooperative Extension Service Campus in Little Rock
Do you have a sense that in your community or region, you are not keeping up, and that what worked even 5 years ago is not working so well today? Do you want to learn how to revitalize your community? Join us June 6-7 in Little rock and our partners and guest speakers can teach you about opportunities to improve the economic future of your community.
Consider these questions:
* Is your community growing or losing population?
* Do you have many vacant buildings and do they stay vacant long?
* In a time when more and more people can live anywhere, are they choosing to live in your community?
* Is your community known for its can-do, opportunity mindset?
Why are we presenting this conference?
To equip community and regional leaders with the insights, tools, and resources to harness the forces of change in your own community or region. The conference will address how you can strengthen the opportunity pipeline for your community or region.
What will be presented at the June 6 pre-conference workshop?
We will focus on turn-around communities – how did they do it and how can you do it. This will include:
> Learning from a community leader with an extraordinary turnaround story from Missouri
> Listening to a round robin of Arkansas leaders on this topic
> An action planning process to identify turn around strategies for Mountain Home, Arkansas.
Reception on June 6, 5:30 p.m. – 8 p.m
Join us for an informal reception for our keynote speaker, Liesl Voges. Food: heavy hors d’oeuvres Where: Four Points by Sheraton Little Rock Midtown hotel (less than one mile from conference location)
What will be presented at the June 7 conference?
The Breakthrough Solutions Partners invite you to join us for a great learning experience as we learn how to create vibrant 21st century communities and regions.
> Keynote speaker Liesl Voges, Community Development Manager at the Iowa Arts Council and Director of the Iowa Great Places Program
> Hear Ignite presentations on the most incredible community-focused projects in Arkansas
> Participate in 8 concurrent sessions addressing the most promising opportunities for Arkansas communities and regions
Virtual Reality and Drones Presentation - As a special treat, you will see how one Arkansas community is using virtual reality to enhance their tourism marketing, and talk with a certified drone pilot and see his drone.
Cost and registration:
* Act NOW! Register before the early bird registration deadline of May 24, 2018
* Hotel cost: Our conference hotel, the Four Points by Sheraton Little Rock Midtown Hotel, is holding a block of rooms until May 18 at the special rate of $94 plus tax.
* A limited number of scholarships are available. For more information, or if you have questions, contact Casey Hill at email@example.com, 501-671-2072.
Collaborate and share!
* Bring a team! Take advantage of the concurrent sessions in the pre-conference workshop and conference.
Imporant Documents for the 2018 Breakthrough Solutions Conference
- Partners & Recognition
- Breakthrough News
- Sign Up for Breakthrough NewsTo sign up for Breakthrough News, please email Casey Hill at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (501) 671-2072.
- 2017 Breakthrough Solutions Conference and Art Show
- 2016 Breakthrough Solutions Conference
How would you like to be able to make your community or region stand out - to be noticed in our state, our nation, and the world as you seek to attract tourists, retirees, families, entrepreneurs, and businesses? And to discover opportunities in eight critical issue areas, and hear about exciting community projects from across the state? You will have that opportunity at the 2016 Breakthrough Solutions Conference on July 8. The purpose of the conference is to provide community and regional leaders with insights, tools, and solutions that you can use to stand out from the crows, leading to your community becoming vibrant, sustainable, and resilient.
The conference will take place at the University of Arkansas Cooperative Extension Service headquarters, 2301 South University, in Little Rock. In addition to the conference, two half-day pre-conference workshops will be held on July 7 addressing two critical community economic development issues, both of which can help your community stand out from the crowd.
- "Creating a Talent Pipeline for Your Community or Region" will provide a strategic approach to workforce development and a valuable tools for you to address the most critical issues and greatest opportunities for developing a killed, motivated workforce. The Talent Pipeline will be used for one pilot community, with workforce providers adding key insights into the process. (Morning)
- "Funding and Financing Community and Economic Development" will provide a comprehensive approach to finding and financing the most important projects and initiatives in your community, with an opportunity to learn from several successful projects funded in Arkansas and other states. Participating communities will have an opportunity to make a pitch for funding their projects. (Afternoon)
- 2015 Conference Presentations
- Branding - Welcome to Perry County
- Building Your Community's Future Through Fresh Thinking
- Community Based Food System
- Dell Gines Presentation
- Engaging the Millennials in Your Community
- I am Harrison
- Ignite - Google Banners and Bears
- Ignite - Morrilton Fun Committee
- Ignite - New Vision Newport
- Ignite - Popup-in-the-Rock
- Ignite - Saline County Economic Strategic Plan
- Ignite Friends of Mosaic Templar
- Ignite -Kickstart Cleveland County
- Move Your Community Forward with Technology
- Never Let a Crisis go to Waste
- Omaha in Black and White-Poverty Amid Prosperity
- Recovering From Disasters
- Ten Basic Rules for Successful Fundraising
- 2013 Breakthrough Solutions Conference
- Conference Information and Agenda (PDF)
- 54 Entrepreneurship Strategies
- ACDS Breakthrough Solutions
- Arkansas Regional Coalition for the Ouachitas Moving Forward
- Broadband Opportunities - ConnectAR
- Build it and They Will Come
- Building a Local Funding Team
- Community Economic Development – Out With the Old, in With the New
- Creating Entrepreneur-Friendly Communities
- Creating Wealth Through Leveraging Assets and Strategic Marketing
- Creativity and the Creative Economy
- Delta Young Professionals
- Entrepreneurial Financing and Economic Development
- Entrepreneurship Policy Actions
- Getting Ahead in a Just –Gettin'-By World
- How Do You Deal With Divisiveness
- Jewel of the Delta Farmer's Market
- Leveraging Local Assets by Creating Regional Food Projects: Missouri's Efforts
- Navigating the Rapids During Uncertain Times
- Extension CED Programs and Resources
- Breakthrough Solutions Video and Art Work
- * Grisham, V. "Extraordinary Results in Ordinary Communities: Transforming Towns and Growing People". A study for the Kettering Foundation, 2010.
- ** Kuhn, T.S. (1962). The structure of scientific revolutions. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press.