Arkansas Strategic Planning and Development
Breakthrough Solutions is an award-winning, next-generation strategic planning and development program of the University of Arkansas Cooperative Extension Service with partners in the public, private and non-profit sectors.
Contact Dr. Mark Peterson at (501) 671-2072 or email@example.com to learn how you can improve your community or region's economic future.
2019 Breakthrough Solutions Conference:
Creating Connected Communities | June 25-26, North Little Rock & Little Rock
Connected communities have three dimensions: They need to be connected within their own communities, they need to be connected with their region/state, and they need to be connected to the world. With the right strategies, they can even be connected with their past, their present, and their future.The 2019 Breakthrough Solutions Conference will explore a strategic framework that communities can use to stay connected, grow jobs, develop their workforce, attract resources, and appeal to our younger generations.
Paying by check or purchase order? Download the registration form.
Breakthrough Solutions Pre-Conference Workshop: ARCO in Action
North Little Rock Chamber of Commerce, North Little Rock, AR
June 25, 2019 | 8:30 AM-5:00 PM
The Breakthrough Solutions team has selected the Arkansas Coalition for the Ouachitas (ARCO) region of Montgomery, Polk, and Scott Counties as the pilot region for the Pre-Conference Workshop. As the pilot region, these communities will work alongside Breakthrough Partners to identify assets and opportunities for action. The pre-conference work-shop will include:
- A tour and community conversation with community leaders to identify assets and possible opportunities before the conference.
- At the pre-conference workshop, Breakthrough Solutions partners will present their findings and lead small group discussions with workshop participants, using new tools to identify strategies and opportunities in more depth.
Breakthrough Solutions Conference
Four Points Sheraton, Little Rock, AR | June 26, 2019 | 9:00 AM-4:00 PM
The Breakthrough Solutions Conference will include expert speakers and interactive activities, and invite you to be part of a learning experience as we learn how to create vibrant communities and regions by becoming connected in and to the 21st century economy.
- Keynote speaker Matt Dunne, “Stemming the Tide – Creating Digital Ecosystems in Rural Areas.” Founder & Executive Director of the Center for Rural Innovation, Hartland, VT.
- Hear Ignite presentations on the most incredible community-focused projects in Arkansas
- Participate in 8 concurrent sessions addressing the most promising opportunities for Arkansas communities and regions
- Virtual Reality Presentation -As a special treat, you will see how one Arkansas community is using virtual reality to enhance its tourism marketing.
Dinner and a Show
The Joint Comedy Club | June 25. 2019 | 5:30 PM-7:30 PM
THE PERFORMERS: Arkansas’ number one professional comedy team, The Main Thing, stars Steve and Vicki Farrell, veteran performers whose work has been featured on Saturday Night Live, Off-Broadway, on Dick Clark’s United Stations Radio Network, and in thousands of live stage performances all around the country.
THE SHOW: Their performance mixes original short sketches, bogus commercials, and improvisation in a non-stop, live comedy revue. It’s a fun, fast-paced show that features an insomniac who is desperately trying to get some sleep before a crucial early-morning meeting, a misdialed number that leads to confusion, intrigue and romance, and an impromptu press conference with an outspoken Arkansas politician that allows your group to join in the act by asking questions.
Two hotels are offering special rates to Breakthrough Solutions conference participants, for June 24 and 25. Ask for the Breakthrough Solutions Conference special rates. They will be holding a block of rooms:
- Four Points by Sheraton Little Rock Midtown Hotel, 925 South University Avenue, Little Rock (a block of rooms is reserved for $94 plus tax).
- Wyndham Riverfront Hotel, #2 Riverfront Place, North Little Rock (a block of room is reserved for $94 plus tax).
- The Baker House Bed & Breakfast, 109 W 5th St, North Little Rock, AR 72114, is a new Bed & Breakfast found in Aregenta, however, they are not offering special rates.
Learn More about Breakthrough Solutions
- Partners & Recognition
- Breakthrough News
- Sign Up for Breakthrough NewsTo sign up for Breakthrough News, please email Casey Hill at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (501) 671-2072.
- 2017 Breakthrough Solutions Conference and Art Show
- 2016 Breakthrough Solutions Conference
How would you like to be able to make your community or region stand out - to be noticed in our state, our nation, and the world as you seek to attract tourists, retirees, families, entrepreneurs, and businesses? And to discover opportunities in eight critical issue areas, and hear about exciting community projects from across the state? You will have that opportunity at the 2016 Breakthrough Solutions Conference on July 8. The purpose of the conference is to provide community and regional leaders with insights, tools, and solutions that you can use to stand out from the crows, leading to your community becoming vibrant, sustainable, and resilient.
The conference will take place at the University of Arkansas Cooperative Extension Service headquarters, 2301 South University, in Little Rock. In addition to the conference, two half-day pre-conference workshops will be held on July 7 addressing two critical community economic development issues, both of which can help your community stand out from the crowd.
- "Creating a Talent Pipeline for Your Community or Region" will provide a strategic approach to workforce development and a valuable tools for you to address the most critical issues and greatest opportunities for developing a killed, motivated workforce. The Talent Pipeline will be used for one pilot community, with workforce providers adding key insights into the process. (Morning)
- "Funding and Financing Community and Economic Development" will provide a comprehensive approach to finding and financing the most important projects and initiatives in your community, with an opportunity to learn from several successful projects funded in Arkansas and other states. Participating communities will have an opportunity to make a pitch for funding their projects. (Afternoon)
- 2015 Breakthrough Solutions Conference
- Branding - Welcome to Perry County
- Building Your Community's Future Through Fresh Thinking
- Community Based Food System
- Dell Gines Presentation
- Engaging the Millennials in Your Community
- I am Harrison
- Ignite - Google Banners and Bears
- Ignite - Morrilton Fun Committee
- Ignite - New Vision Newport
- Ignite - Popup-in-the-Rock
- Ignite - Saline County Economic Strategic Plan
- Ignite Friends of Mosaic Templar
- Ignite -Kickstart Cleveland County
- Move Your Community Forward with Technology
- Never Let a Crisis go to Waste
- Omaha in Black and White-Poverty Amid Prosperity
- Recovering From Disasters
- Ten Basic Rules for Successful Fundraising
- 2013 Breakthrough Solutions Conference
- Conference Information and Agenda (PDF)
- 54 Entrepreneurship Strategies
- ACDS Breakthrough Solutions
- Arkansas Regional Coalition for the Ouachitas Moving Forward
- Broadband Opportunities - ConnectAR
- Build it and They Will Come
- Building a Local Funding Team
- Community Economic Development – Out With the Old, in With the New
- Creating Entrepreneur-Friendly Communities
- Creating Wealth Through Leveraging Assets and Strategic Marketing
- Creativity and the Creative Economy
- Delta Young Professionals
- Entrepreneurial Financing and Economic Development
- Entrepreneurship Policy Actions
- Getting Ahead in a Just –Gettin'-By World
- How Do You Deal With Divisiveness
- Jewel of the Delta Farmer's Market
- Leveraging Local Assets by Creating Regional Food Projects: Missouri's Efforts
- Navigating the Rapids During Uncertain Times
- Extension CED Programs and Resources
- Breakthrough Solutions Video and Art Work
- * Grisham, V. "Extraordinary Results in Ordinary Communities: Transforming Towns and Growing People". A study for the Kettering Foundation, 2010.
- ** Kuhn, T.S. (1962). The structure of scientific revolutions. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press.