Food Safety / Bioterrorism
Americans are concerned about the safety of their food supply. Although our food supply
is safer than any time in history, it still results in an estimated 46 million cases
of foodborne illness and 3,000 deaths per year. Understanding of how to prevent both
accidental and deliberate contamination of our food supply is paramount.
Food Safety deals with the accidental contamination of our food supply.
- USDA- Foodborne Illness and Disease –A USDA Fact Sheet on Foodborne Illness.
- Diagnosis & Management of Foodborne Illnesses; A Primer for Physicians – From the American Medical Association.
- Foodborne Diseases – Information from the Division of Bacterial and Mycotic Diseases National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control.
- Comprehensive List of Diseases – Information from the Division of Bacterial and Mycotic Diseases, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control.
- The "Bad Bug Book" – U.S. Food & Drug Administration, Center for Food Safety & Applied Nutrition Foodborne Pathogenic Microorganisms and Natural Toxins. 1992.
- Common Foodborne Pathogens- Developed by Extension Specialists with Iowa State University, University Extension.
- Food Borne Illness Resources - From UC Davis
- Diagnosing and Managing Food Borne Illness - Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report
- Latest Food Borne Disease News
- Salmonella Poisoning
- Food Borne Illness Index
- OSHA Standards and Food Borne Disease
- Introduction to Food Borne Illnesses
- Myths about Food Borne Illness
- University of Arkansas Center for Food Safety
- Biosecurity: The Key to Keeping Your Livestock and Poultry Healthy - By the Arkansas Cooperative Extension Service on keeping livestock and poultry free of disease.
- FDA Biosecurity Registration - All food processors must register with this form under the Bioterrorism Act.
- The Bioterrorism Act of 2002 – From FDA.
- Guidance for Industry, Food Producers, Processors and Transporters; Food Security Preventative Measures Guidance - From FDA.
- Countering Bioterrorism and Other Threats to the Food Supply - From FDA
- Food Safety Modernization Act - NEW from FDA
- CDC Bioterrorism Agents /Diseases – Great website by the CDC on all topics related to bioterrorism.
- Recognition of Illness Associated with the Intentional Release of a Biologic AgentFrom the CDC.
- Emerging Infectious DiseasesA peer-reviewed journal by the National Center for Infectious Diseases.
- Food Defense planning University of Missouri Extension
- Center for Biosecurity of the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Good website for publications on biosecurity and related topics.