UACES Facebook FAQs
skip to main content


Do you have questions about Data Universal Numbering System (DUNS) numbers? How do you use North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) codes? Having issues with System for Award Management (SAM)? Below are answers to common questions about these and other topics.

Are Arkansas PTAC Services Free?

Arkansas PTAC services are provided at no charge to clients.

What stage of business would be best to begin government contracting?

Your business will need to be operational, stable, and established before beginning government contracting.

Why is it important to be registered with the Arkansas Secretary of State?

Depending on how your business is structured, you may need to register with the Arkansas Secretary of State. The Secretary of State will issue your business license. This is sometimes required to obtain a DUNS number.

Check out the Arkansas Secretary of State's "Doing Business in Arkansas" handbook for more information. 

What is a DUNS Number?

A DUNS (Data Universal Numbering System) is a means of identifying your legal  business entity's name and location. 

How do I get a DUNS Number?

Use D&B (Dun & Bradstreet’s) iUpdate system to obtain a DUNS number. You will be asked to provide business information such as, business name, address, and contact information. 

What is a NAICS Code?

A North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) code tells government agencies what goods and/or services your business provides. For more information about NAICS Codes visit

What is SAM?

SAM (System for Award Management) is a federal database that your business must be registered in to obtain a federal contract. Businesses must also be registered in SAM to be payed for goods or services provided to the federal government. Registration is free.

How do I register in SAM?

Counselors often receive questions about SAM registration. It is recommended that you call your local PTAC office for assistance in navigating the SAM registration process. 

There are no SAM numbers. People are typically referring to a CAGE code when referencing a "SAM number". More details about CAGE codes are available below. 

Is there a fee for registering in SAM?

No. There is never a fee for registering or renewing a registration in this database.

Beware of phishing scams from businesses attempting to charge for this service over the telephone or through email. Any email you receive regarding your SAM registration should come from a ".gov" email address. 

What is a CAGE code?

The Commercial and Government Entity (CAGE) Code is a five-character ID code using letters and numbers. This code is important in order to be awarded federal contracts. This code is not needed for state or local contracts.

How do I obtain a CAGE code?

Once the SAM registration process is completed and validated, a CAGE code will be issued to you via email. Please be aware that SAM validation time could vary, taking anywhere from ten business days to three weeks. 

Once again, please contact your local PTAC for help completing the SAM registration process. 

How do I start bidding?

Are you ready to start bidding? Contact us!

See our services page to get more information about how we can help you find and bid on solicitations.