Wildlife O-Rama Study Materials
The Wildlife O-Rama improves the contestant’s ability to: (1) identify wildlife species found in announced regions, (2) identify foods these wildlife species consume, and (3) demonstrate an understanding of wildlife ecology and management concepts. The announced region for 2019 is Tallgrass/Mixed Prairie. NEW IN 2019: Species from both the Urban and Wetlands regions will be included in Wildlife Identification.
Who Can Participate?
Junior and Senior 4-H members with approval of their county 4-H office are eligible to participate in the District 4-H Wildlife O-Rama in June. Up to four juniors and four seniors from each county may participate. The top seven Seniors competing in each District are eligible to attend the State Wildlife O-Rama in July. Additional details are available in the event description or from your local county Extension office.
What Should I Study?
- Wildlife Identification (30 points): identify wildlife from pictures, artifacts, replicas, or other representations as found in a natural outdoor condition. This includes identifying pelts, skulls, tracks, vocalizations, scat, or other evidence used to identify wildlife. Wildlife species are listed on the scorecard. Use the following study materials for this contest:
- Wildlife Foods (15 points): Only species in the announced region are used in this section. identify which foods are commonly eaten by each species, as indicated in the species descriptions: Tallgrass/Mixed Prairie Species Descriptions. Answers to multiple-choice questions are recorded on a scorecard. At the contest, a sample or picture of a type of food will be displayed. The contestant is asked to either identify (1) which wildlife species consumes the displayed food, or (2) which one of several displayed foods is consumed by a single wildlife species. Definitions of food groups describe how these wildlife foods are classified.
- Wildlife Ecology & Management Concepts (15 points): Answer questions about concepts associated with managing wildlife. Answers to multiple-choice or true/false questions are recorded on a scorecard. A sample of previous questions and scorecard is available for download. Questions are taken from the following study material: wildlife concepts and terms (Juniors and Seniors), glossary (Juniors and Seniors), and wildlife management practices (Seniors only). Seniors are expected to demonstrate more in-depth understanding of concepts and terms than Juniors.
- Additional tie-breaker questions may be offered during the contest and/or before the awards ceremony at the Wildlife O-Rama to determine the winner. Contestants are encouraged to answer tie-breaker questions to the best of their ability. The format of these questions can be different from regular event questions. A bonus question could be an essay or fill-in-the-blank.
Are There Other 4-H Wildlife Activities?
The Wildlife O-Rama activities are similar to those held at the 4-H Wildlife Habitat Education Program's (WHEP) state contest. Typically an annual WHEP Practice Session is held in February and a State Contest in April. There is also a Wildlife Field Day and Food Plot Project which is part of the 4-H Wildlife Program. Contact your local county Extension office for further details and to register for the O-Rama and to sign up for wildlife events, activities, and projects.
- Example: 2017 Junior Scorecard** (Including the format for foods questions, and concepts questions. Food group is listed in parentheses.)
- Example: 2017 Senior Scorecard** (including the format for foods questions, and concepts questions. Food group is listed in parentheses.)
**NOTE: These scorecards do not include wetland species. The new scorecards will include these additional species.
The Wildlife O-Rama activities are similar to those held at the 4-H Wildlife Habitat Education Program's (WHEP) state contest. Typically an annual WHEP practice session is held in February in Central Arkansas, and a state contest the last Friday in April at a different location each year. Contact your local county Extension office to sign up, or for further details.