Arkansas Master Gardener Program
Started in 1988 in 4 counties (Garland, Jefferson, Pulaski, and Saline) and 40 members, the Arkansas Master Gardener Program now:
- has over 3000 volunteers in 67 counties
- reported 102,850 education hours and 181,371 service hours in 2014
- operates in 65 Arkansas counties
- coordinates over 20 county and regional horticultural fairs annually
The University of Arkansas Master Gardeners sponsor events in a wide range of activities including educational seminars and workshops, youth gardening programs, plant therapy work with hospitals and nursing homes, community beautification projects all helping to disseminate horticulture information. Annual plant sales are a great way to educate the public on the right plant for the right location.
How do I become a Master Gardener?
The first step is to fill out the Master Gardener Application. Send in the application to the address listed on the form and it will be forwarded to a Master Gardener program near you.
Arkansas Flower and Garden Show
Master Gardeners from across the state come together to volunteer at the Arkansas Flower & Garden Show annually to promote horticulture within the state. This three day event promotes horticulture through educational exhibits, speakers and trade show. On average, over 10,000 Arkansans visit the three-day show.
Master Gardener State Conference
The University of Arkansas Master Gardeners hold an annual state conference which
is hosted and coordinated by a different local program each year. This three day event
provides Master Gardeners the opportunity to participate in workshops, seminars,
garden tours, and allows them to connect with other Master Gardeners from across the
2016 Master Gardener Award Nomination Forms
Nomination Deadline: January 15, 2016
* Please be sure to read the cover letter for details concerning award forms!
* We encourage all counties to send in at least one award category nomination. We know you have people in your county that need to be recognized for their dedication to your county program!
Cover Letter (new award for 2016, total of eight award categories)
2. Rookie of the Year
3. Project of the Year
4. Newsletter of the Year
5. Friend of MG (Individual)
6. Friend of MG (Business or Organization)
7. Agent of the Year
8. Excellence in Education Award of the Year NEW!
2016 Saturday Master Gardener Basic Training Class
Application deadline: May 11, 2016
Dates: Saturday, June 11, 18, 25, July 9, 16 (skipping July 2 for the 4th of July holiday)